domingo, 21 de febrero de 2016

PLEASE GIVE

Remember last week when we talked about almsgiving?

Here's a chance to do some almsgiving right now. Not only that, here's a chance to do some almsgiving that will help someone achieve their own empowerment. Not only that, here's a chance to do some almsgiving that will support an Andean girl who I have worked with, and who I know will be in good hands as long as the money comes through to support her.

Fund Lucía's scholarship for college

Laura (who I know as Lali) is the director of the IFSA-Butler Study Abroad program in Peru. But she also runs ADENAR foundation* which seeks to aid children from vulnerable Peruvian populations in facilitating their own opportunities for development. Lucía, the student in question, is from the shelter in the small town of Pampamarca where I did my volunteering during my study abroad semester.

When I was in Lima this January, I stayed at Laura's house. She told me about Lucía's situation. Her pain and hope - her empathy - for Lucía were obvious as we talked. "No la vamos a soltar" she told me again and again. "We won't let her go."

Girls like Lucía don't usually have such a committed support person. You can help Lucía get a good education and radically expand her options in life by donating. I ask you to do this, not because it is for a general cause that I believe in, but because it will support the work of someone I love and respect deeply.

I'll be putting my money where my mouth is as soon as my new credit card arrives from the US.*

If Lali says Lucía is worth our donations, then she is.

Please follow the link and give generously. A college education in Peru is MUCH easier to fund than a college education in the US.

*My old card got eaten by an ATM in Lima last month.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario